~~This Time It's Different by Evans Blue~~

Language Barriers?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

~~You're KIDDING ME!!!!--A v.v Post~~

Alright kiddies, ya see that speech? Guess what I have to memorize....I have to perform it in drama class today. X.X Wish me luck!


GROUND ZERO

My name is Haley. William Haley. I live in an apartment in a big city—it doesn't matter which. Every night my apartment is very quiet and…very empty. Dead. No sounds except for the traffic from the street below, maybe some background music on the radio. The clock.
My life is just as quiet. Just as empty. Dead. Every night after I fall asleep I have a dream. The same dream, night after night.
It always begins the same way, with a large black and white map of the city. At the center of the map is a heavy black X. around the X are a number of concentric circles. In the center of the X a small red dot appears. It's as if this tiny needlepoint of red light is somehow connected to some hidden part of my brain. The dot opens up and color ripples out around it into a scale that fades away at the edges of the outermost circle.
It's always at this moment that I realize that this is the kind of map that they chart the impact of a nuclear explosion on. I always feel hypnotized by it. I bend closer, over the surface of the map. Closer and closer, and slowly the inner circle expands and grows until it surrounds me.
It surrounds me. Suddenly I find myself standing in the middle of a downtown street. A clear day, in the middle of the afternoon. Windows glint in the sunlight. It's very quiet. There's no one else around. No cars in the street. Not a breath of wind. The city is empty except for me. I know—always at this precise moment—what is going to happen. I look down at the ground. There on the asphalt is a crude chalk circle drawn around my feet. the kind of circle a little girl might draw for a game. I know that this is ground zero. The bomb is going to fall. It's always the same and its always a strange feeling to realize that I'm not afraid, not at all afraid. A great sense of joy wells up inside me. A desire to raise my arms to the heavens, to exercise my entire body in praise of this moment. Because only by being destroyed, only through the ultimate annihilation of a nuclear explosion brighter than a thousand suns can I finally lose myself, turn to pure energy, become one with the universe. I will be totally cleansed of my mediocre existence, reborn into the cosmos. I will be truly free.
And as I lift my arms and feel the ripple of muscles wash upwards, a great white light is slowly bursting outwards from where I stand. This is it. And then I realize what this is. I'm terrified. I know it's too powerful for me. This is no dream. I'm gazing into the single eye of the fireball. I stare into that blank white point of light. It gazes back at me calmly, hypnotically. I'm frozen with fear. I know I'm going to die. I want to run someplace, to hide. If only I was back in my apartment….I want to shout, NO!

No comments: