~~This Time It's Different by Evans Blue~~

Language Barriers?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

~~Forgotten Love: A Story Told In Free Verse~~

So today's the first
Day back
Summer's over apparently
I look, and spy
Her..Ashley
My girlfriend
From last semester
Before summer came.
I haven't seen her since
The last day of school
Been a while...
"Hey," said I, looking
Deep, deep, searching
For an old feeling
Something I no longer felt
"Oh, hey Jamie," Ashley said softly
Her blue eyes
Like fallen
Shards
Of sky
Drop demurely
To the tiled
Hallway floor
"How was summer?"
She asks, such a
Simple question. A
Floundering try
For the resuming
Of old and worn feelings?
Or just a simple
Conversation starter?
I fumble for an
Answer, something
Simple
Easy
Casual--casual
Above all else:
"It was nice. Video games
"Reading. Hiking, Texting.
"You know
"The drill."
She nods, and she
Raises her small round

Shoulders
In a distracted shrug

"Mine was good. Camp."
Ashley says softly
Her eyes flicking
Darting like the
Final brief twitchings
Of an insect's legs
Before they die
Her eyes meet mine
And this time
My eyes drop to the floor
Away from hers
I fumble, flick
My ragged black hair
Out of my eyes
Shove hands into jeans pockets
Sift through the English language
Searching for
The perfect word:
"Cool," I say, kicking
Restlessly at the floor
She nods, and says
Something
Indecipherable
And slowly
Walks

Away
And I slowly

Almost
Too 
Slowly
Snap out of
My reverie
And sprint
Forwards
Catching her arm
Pressing my lips to hers
Just one last time
Before I let her go
I smile faintly
Help her pick up
The books she'd
Dropped
When I grabbed her
She gives a nod
Of thanks
And wanders away
Again
But this time
Three little words
Three little
Sparkling
Hopeful
Sad
Gems
Drop into
The azure ocean
Of pure silence:
"I
"Missed
"You."

No comments: